visita guiada a uma paisagem desaparecida/ guided tour of a vanished landscape/

 

2019/

ação realizada no centro do Rio de Janeiro, no dia 16 de agosto/ 

action held in downtown Rio de Janeiro, on August 16/ 

com a participação das atrizes/performers Carolina Virgüez, Denise Stutz e Gisele Fróes/

featuring actresses/performers Carolina Virgüez, Denise Stutz and Gisele Fróes/

colaboração de Adriano Guimarães na elaboração dos textos e na dramaturgia/

with the collaboration of Adriano Guimarães in the elaboration of the texts and the dramaturgy/

registro fotográfico de Renato Mangolin/ photographic record of Renato Mangolin/

*projeto realizado durante uma residência artística no ArtSonica - Laboratório de experimentação artística, Rio de Janeiro, 2019, financiado pelo Oi Futuro/ work done during an artistic residency at ArtSonica - Laboratory of artistic experimentation, Rio de Janeiro, 2019, financed by Oi Futuro/

A cidade do Rio de Janeiro foi fundada em 1565, em uma estreita faixa de terra entre os morros Cara de Cão e Pão de Açúcar. Mas, depois da batalha de Uruçumirim, em 1567, o Governador Geral do Brasil determinou que a cidade fosse transferida para o alto do Morro do Castelo por motivos estratégicos. Sobre o monte, era possível ter uma vista privilegiada da baía da Guanabara, podendo-se ver quais embarcações entravam e saiam. Ali foi erguida a primeira igreja, o primeiro colégio, a primeira cadeia, o primeiro cemitério e a primeira forca do Rio de Janeiro. Elevando-se a uma altura de 63 metros – o equivalente a um prédio de 24 andares –, o Castelo ocupava a área hoje delimitada pelas ruas Santa Luzia, D. Manuel, São José e pela Avenida Rio Branco, no centro da cidade. O Morro do Castelo foi demolido na década de 1920. A sua demolição implicou na remoção e desalojamento de mais de quatro mil pessoas. Grande parte da terra do monte foi jogada às margens da antiga praia de Santa Luzia e no prolongamento da Ponta do Calabouço – onde hoje se encontra o Aeroporto Santos Dumont e o Museu de Arte Moderna –, servindo para os aterros que abrigaram a Exposição do Centenário da Independência de 1922. Outra parcela menor de terra foi transportada para a obra de aterramento do bairro Urca.

Esse projeto se propôs a realizar um processo de criação sobre a história do Morro do Castelo, tendo como ponto de partida uma extensa pesquisa iconográfica, bibliográfica e documental, abrangendo mais de 400 anos. Como ele foi o núcleo urbano inicial do Rio, as histórias da cidade e do morro se confundem. Além disso, o Morro é atravessado por muitas narrativas divergentes, às vezes, completamente opostas. Existiu uma “disputa narrativa” sobre as razões para o arrasamento do Morro, travada entre as camadas sociais mais elevadas – governo, elite social e econômica e a maior parte da imprensa –, que eram a favor do desmonte do Morro, mesmo que isso implicasse na remoção e desalojamento de milhares de pessoas, e as camadas mais humildes – os moradores do Morro, que na sua maioria eram imigrantes italianos, alguns órgãos de imprensa, como foi o caso do Jornal do Brasil, e alguns escritores e intelectuais da época, como Lima Barreto –, que eram contra a realização da obra.

Durante o desenvolvimento do projeto, a pesquisa histórica foi conjugada com diversas caminhadas pelo Centro do Rio de Janeiro, com o intuito de identificar as imediações e o que sobrou do monte no panorama da cidade. A partir disso, foram identificados 12 pontos relevantes para a história do Morro do Castelo e, para cada um deles, foi construída uma narrativa que entrelaçou a história do local escolhido, a história do Morro e a história da cidade.

Devido a fragilidade do momento que vivemos, onde parece estar em jogo a nossa capacidade de distinguir realidade de ficção, pareceu essencial que as narrativas construídas partissem rigorosamente do rearranjo de histórias existentes. No entanto, muitas delas parecem ficcionais, fantásticas, devido ao absurdo dos acontecimentos. Outras, parecem extremamente familiares, fazendo do momento atual uma espécie de eco de fatos ocorridos no passado.

O resultado do processo de criação se tornou a ação Visita guiada a uma paisagem desaparecida, realizada no Centro do Rio de Janeiro, que se baseou nos serviços de visita guiada para turistas. Quem chega ao Rio e quer ajuda para conhecê-lo com maior profundidade, dispõe de uma imensa cartela de possibilidades. Excursões prometem desde visitas aos cartões-postais da cidade até à incursão nos hábitos locais – como o turismo gerado pelo carnaval, que oferece aos estrangeiros o gostinho de algumas atividades genuinamente “cariocas”. 

Três atrizes/performers foram convidadas para, no dia 16 de agosto de 2019, receberem e conduzirem o grupo da Visita guiada a uma paisagem desaparecida pelos 12 pontos do Centro, contando histórias sobre o Rio de Janeiro, tendo o Morro do Castelo como catalizador dos acontecimentos. Durante o percurso, as narrativas tentaram presentificar a ausência do Morro na paisagem atual da cidade.

***

Visita guiada percorreu os seguintes locais/histórias:

Ponto 1 | O MAPA DA TERRA

Local | Jardim da Biblioteca Nacional [No terreno onde se encontra a Biblioteca Nacional, ficava parte do Morro do Castelo. Com as obras de abertura da Avenida Rio Branco, entre 1904 e 1905, parte do Morro foi demolida para dar origem a diversas construções imponentes, como é o caso da Biblioteca.] 

- Breve resumo sobre os aspectos históricos e geográficos do Morro do Castelo, desde o estabelecimento da cidade do Rio de Janeiro sobre ele, em 1567, até a sua demolição, na década de 1920.

Ponto 2 | OS DONOS DA TERRA

Local | Museu Nacional de Belas Artes [No terreno onde se encontra o Museu Nacional de Belas Artes – antiga Escola de Belas Artes –, também ficava parte do Morro do Castelo. Essa parte da visita foi realizada em frente a pintura Iracema, 1881 de José Maria de Medeiros, localizada na Galeria de Arte Brasileira do século XIX.]

- A pintura Iracema e a idealização do passado mítico brasileiro. O romance Iracema, 1865, de José de Alencar, e a metáfora do nascimento do Brasil. Os habitantes originários do Morro do Castelo: os índios tupinambá. A cosmologia tupinambá e o sistema de vingança. A relação entre índios e colonizadores. A fundação do Rio de Janeiro entre os morros Cara de Cão e Pão de Açúcar, em 1565. A batalha de Uruçumirim. A transferência da cidade para o alto do Morro do Castelo, em 1567.

Ponto 3 | ESSA TERRA É NOSSA EMPRESA

Local | Museu Nacional de Belas Artes [Essa parte da visita foi realizada em frente a pintura Nóbrega e seus companheiros, 1843, de Manoel Joaquim Corte Real, localizada na Galeria de Arte Brasileira do século XIX.]

- Breve relato sobre a biografia do padre jesuíta Manuel da Nóbrega. A sua chegada ao Brasil, em 1549. Estruturação da primeira metodologia de catequização do índios – “A pedagogia do amor”. Reestruturação da metodologia de catequização – “A pedagogia do medo”. A incompreensão dos jesuítas sobre as cosmologias indígenas. A aliança firmada entre Estácio de Sá e Manuel da Nóbrega, sob o slogan “Essa terra é nossa empresa”. O estabelecimento da Companhia de Jesus no alto do Morro do Castelo, em 1567. A proibição da escravização dos índios. O enriquecimento, expansão e influência jesuíta no Brasil colonial. O surgimento da lenda dos tesouros jesuítas escondidos nos subterrâneos do Morro do Castelo. A Coroa Portuguesa declara os jesuítas traidores. A perseguição e expulsão dos padres jesuítas do Brasil, com o confisco de todos os seus bens.

Ponto 4 | UM LIVRO SOBRE A TERRA

Local | Tribunal de Contas do Município do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Santa Luzia, 732 [A Rua de Santa Luzia era um dos limites do Morro do Castelo. Onde hoje se localiza o prédio do Tribunal de Contas, ficava a casa em que morava Machado de Assis e sua esposa Carolina, entre 1871 e 1874. A casa ficava ao pé do Morro.]

- Breve biografia de Machado de Assis. O fascínio do autor pelas histórias e lendas sobre o Morro do Castelo. O romance Esaú e Jacó, cujos dois primeiros capítulos se passam no Morro do Castelo. O Morro do Castelo visto como um lugar de crenças e de superstições na cidade do Rio de Janeiro, no começo do século XX.

Ponto 5 | OS MILAGRES DA TERRA

Local | Igreja Santa Luzia [Essa construção aparece localizada nos mapas mais antigos da Baía da Guanabara. Ela era encravada no Morro do Castelo. Através das fotos que ficam na nave lateral esquerda, é possível perceber que, antes do aterramento, a praia chegava até a porta da Igreja.]

- A história de Luzia, que se tornou a santa padroeira dos olhos e da visão. O início da devoção a Santa Luzia no Rio de Janeiro. A história do córrego de água milagrosa que havia nos fundos da Igreja, que vinha diretamente do morro do Castelo. Após a demolição do monte, a água milagrosa do córrego foi encanada e se encontra hoje disponível como uma bica, no fundo da Igreja.

Ponto 6 | TERRA DE MUITO BONS ARES

Local | Hospital Santa Casa de Misericórdia [Inicialmente, a Santa Casa foi estabelecida no alto do Morro do Castelo. Mas, logo em seguida, a construção foi abandonada, em favor de outra no sopé do monte. O atual prédio da Santa Casa foi construído sobre o primeiro cemitério do Rio de Janeiro, local onde foram enterrados índios, escravos, pobres, e os primeiros habitantes de Morro do Castelo.] 

- A história do Hospital Santa Casa de Misericórdia. O primeiro atendimento médico, realizado pelo padre José de Anchieta e pelos índios, em 1582. O papel dos jesuítas e dos índios no tratamento e cura dos doentes. A transferência da capital da Colônia da Bahia para o Rio de Janeiro, o inchamento da cidade e o surgimento das grandes epidemias. A escassez de médicos e cirurgiões no Brasil colonial. A teoria miasmática. Surgimento da primeira ideia do arrasamento do Morro do Castelo, no final do século XVIII, sugerida pelos médicos e engenheiros. A chegada da Família Real Portuguesa, em 1808, e as primeiras reformas urbanas. Manuel Vieira da Silva e o primeiro tratado médico publicado no Brasil, onde se recomendava o arrasamento dos morros da Baía da Guanabara.

Ponto 7 | AS CHUVAS DA TERRA

Local | Bar e Restaurante Vila Real - R. Santa Luzia, 372

- A enchente de 1818, conhecida como “Águas do Monte”, que destruiu várias construções no Morro do Castelo, deixando inúmeras vítimas e desabrigados. A história de Vitorino, conhecido como Bitú, que bebia tranquilamente em um bar, quando parte de uma muralha do Morro desabou sobre a edificação, matando-o. A transformação da história de Bitú em uma canção popular.

Ponto 8 | A COBIÇA SOB A TERRA  

Local | Praça dos Expedicionários [A região onde foi construída a Praça era, originalmente, parte do Morro do Castelo. Exatamente nessa região se localizava o Complexo dos Jesuítas.]

- A história da Praça dos Expedicionários. A relação do lugar com as lendas dos tesouros jesuítas enterrados sob o Morro do Castelo. O imaginário dos habitantes do Rio de Janeiro sobre os tesouros escondidos. A história de um dos caçadores dos tesouros jesuítas no século XIX: o Barão de Drummond, o criador do Zoológico de Vila Isabel e do Jogo do Bicho. A caçada ao tesouro do pernambucano Trajano Augusto Cesar Martins. O hábito dos moradores do Morro do Castelo de escavar seus quintais a procura de ouro enterrado. O prefeito Francisco Pereira Passos e o primeiro grande plano remodelador da cidade. A abertura da Avenida Rio Branco e o encontro de uma das entradas para o circuito de túneis subterrâneos do Morro do Castelo, em 1905. A divulgação em todos os jornais da possível existência dos tesouros jesuítas. Nenhum tesouro é encontrado, a entrada para o subterrâneo é emparedada e a Avenida Rio Branco é inaugurada. A construção de um bunker sob a Praça – o único bunker público da cidade do Rio de Janeiro. A transformação do bunker em estacionamento para os funcionários do Tribunal de Justiça.

Ponto 9 | TERRA INVADIDA - TERRA VENDIDA

Local | Museu Histórico Nacional [Em uma parte do complexo arquitetônico do Museu, encontra-se o Pátio dos Canhões, que já foi via de passagem para os cariocas que caminhavam da praia ao Morro do Castelo. Essa parte da visita foi realizada em frente ao canhão de bronze que foi utilizado no primeiro sequestro à cidade do Rio de Janeiro.]

- A pirataria como uma prática institucionalizada dos reinos europeus. A invasão pirata ao Rio de Janeiro – quando o núcleo central da cidade ainda se encontrava sobre o Morro do Castelo –, comandada pelo pirata francês René Duguay-Trouin, em 1711. O caso de corrupção, envolvendo o governador da capitania, seu ajudante e de um padre jesuíta, que eram acusados de ter vendido e entregue a terra aos franceses. O interesse da França pelo Brasil desde o século XVI. A “festa brasileira”, que foi realizada em Rouen, na França, em 1550, cidade que queria homenagear o rei Henrique e a rainha Catarina de Médici. O estabelecimento da França Antártica no Rio de Janeiro, colônia francesa que existiu entre 1555 e 1560. A invasão cultural francesa no século XIX: a “Missão Francesa” e a revisão da sua história oficial. A influência francesa na Exposição do Centenário da Independência, em 1922, acontecida sobre os aterros provenientes do Morro do Castelo.

Ponto 10 | O TEATRO DA TERRA

Local | Largo da Misericórdia [A Ladeira da Misericórdia é a primeira rua que foi aberta e calçada no Rio de Janeiro, e foi um dos acessos ao Morro do Castelo. É um dos poucos elementos do Morro que restaram na paisagem da cidade.]

- A primeira peça teatral do Rio de Janeiro, ocorrida no Largo da Misericórdia, em 1584. O teatro jesuíta como a forma mais eficaz para a catequização dos índios.

Ponto 11 | OS DOIS ÚLTIMOS FILHOS DA TERRA

Local | Igreja Nossa Senhora do Bonsucesso [A Igreja Nossa Senhora do Bonsucesso, antiga Igreja da Misericórdia, foi possivelmente construída no século XVI — portanto, contemporânea às igrejas do morro do Castelo. Na ausência do Morro do Castelo, podemos considerá-la um dos locais mais antigos do Rio de Janeiro. Nela, encontram-se três retábulos dourados e um púlpito que pertenceram ao Complexo dos Jesuítas do Morro do Castelo. Antes da obra de arrasamento, os retábulos e púlpitos foram transportados pela Ladeira da Misericórdia e instalados na sua nave central da Igreja.]

- O único testemunho sobre a vida de dois moradores do morro do Castelo que se tem notícia até hoje: os irmãos Florinda e Francisco Alói. O cotidiano dos moradores do Morro do Castelo. A oposição dos irmãos sobre a opinião difundida no início do século XX pela imprensa e pelo governo, que definia o Castelo como uma área decadente, perigosa e miserável. O clima bucólico do Morro. A gestão de Carlos Sampaio e o decreto que autorizou o arrasamento do Castelo. O arrasamento do Morro segundo o olhar de Francisco e Florinda.

Ponto 12 | O PRIMEIRO FILHO DA TERRA EXPLORADA

Local | Igreja Nossa Senhora do Bonsucesso

- João Lopes de Carvalho – piloto da embarcação portuguesa Bretoa, primeira embarcação da história a carregar pau-brasil do continente americano para a Europa – é condenado a ficar na baía da Guanabara. O nascimento do filho de João com uma índia, em 1511 – o primeiro filho da colonização que se tem registro. A fuga de João para a Espanha, em 1516. O retorno de João à baía da Guanabara, em 1519, na frota de circum-navegação do planeta de Fernão de Magalhães. O reencontro de João com seu filho, com 7 anos de idade. João leva o filho consigo na expedição de circum-navegação. O filho de João é sequestrado por um rajá local, em Bornéu, uma ilha da Indonésia.

The city of Rio de Janeiro was founded in 1565, on a narrow strip of land between the Cara de Cão and Pão de Açúcar hills. But after the battle of Uruçumirim in 1567, the Governor General of Brazil determined that the city be moved to the top of Morro do Castelo for strategic reasons. Over the hill, it was possible to have a privileged view of the bay of Guanabara, being able to see which boats in and out. There was erected the first church, the first school, the first jail, the first cemetery and the first gallows of Rio de Janeiro. Rising to a height of 63 meters - the equivalent of a 24-story building - the Castle occupied the area today bounded by Santa Luzia, D. Manuel, São José streets and Rio Branco Avenue, in downtown Rio de Janeiro. Morro do Castelo was demolished in the 1920s. Its demolition led to the removal and displacement of over four thousand people. Much of the land was thrown on the shores of the old Santa Luzia beach and on the outskirts of Ponta do Calabouço - where Santos Dumont Airport and the Museum of Modern Art are today - serving the landfills that hosted the Centennial Exhibition Independence of 1922. Another smaller parcel of land was transported to the Urca neighborhood grounding work.

This project set out to create a process about the history of Morro do Castelo, having as its starting point an extensive iconographic, bibliographical and documentary research, covering more than 400 years. As it was the initial urban core of Rio, the stories of the city and the hill get mixed up. In addition, the hill is traversed by many divergent, sometimes completely opposite narratives. There was a “narrative dispute” about the reasons for the breakdown of the hill, waged between the higher social strata - government, social and economic elite and most of the press - who were in favor of dismantling the hill, even if it implied the removal and displacement of thousands of people, and the most humble strata - the residents of the hill, who were mostly Italian immigrants, some newspapers, such as Jornal do Brasil, and some writers and intellectuals of the time, such as Lima Barreto - who were against the accomplishment of the work.

During the development of the project, the historical research was combined with several walks through in downtown Rio de Janeiro, in order to identify the surroundings and what is left of the hill in the city panorama. From this, 12 points relevant to the history of Morro do Castelo were identified and, for each of them, a narrative was constructed that intertwined the history of the chosen place, the history of the hill and the history of the city.

Due to the fragility of the moment we live in, where our ability to distinguish reality from fiction seems to be in check, it seemed essential that the narratives constructed were strictly based on the rearrangement of existing stories. However, many of them seem fictional, fantastic, because of the absurdity of the events. Others seem extremely familiar, making the present moment an echo of past events.

The result of the creation process became the action Guided tour of a vanished landscape held in downtown Rio de Janeiro, which was based on business services guided for tourists. Those who come to Rio and want help getting to know them in greater depth have a huge array of possibilities. Excursions promise from visits to the city's postcards to incursion into local habits - such as carnival-generated tourism, which offers foreigners a taste of some genuinely “carioca” activities.

Three actresses/performers were invited to, on August 16, 2019, receive and conduct the tour group Guided tour of a vanished landscape by the 12 points in downtown, telling stories about Rio de Janeiro, with the Morro do Castelo as a catalyst of events. Along the way, the narratives tried to present the absence of the hill in the current landscape of the city.

*** 

The Guided Tour toured the following places/stories:

Point 1 | THE LAND MAP

Location | National Library Garden [On the grounds where the National Library is, was part of Morro do Castelo. With the opening works of Rio Branco Avenue, between 1904 and 1905, part of the hill was demolished to give rise to several imposing buildings, such as the Library.]

- Brief summary of the historical and geographical aspects of Morro do Castelo, from the establishment of the city of Rio de Janeiro on it in 1567 until its demolition in the 1920s.

Point 2 | THE OWNERS OF THE LAND

Location | National Museum of Fine Arts [On the grounds of the National Museum of Fine Arts - former School of Fine Arts - was also part of Morro do Castelo. This part of the visit was done in front of the 1881 painting Iracema, by José Maria de Medeiros, located in the 19th-century Brazilian Art Gallery.]

- Iracema painting and the idealization of the Brazilian mythical past. José de Alencar's novel Iracema, 1865, and the metaphor of the birth of Brazil. The inhabitants originating from Morro do Castelo: the tupinambá Indians. Tupinambá cosmology and the revenge system. The relationship between Indians and settlers. The foundation of Rio de Janeiro between the Cara de Cão and Pão de Açúcar hills, in 1565. The battle of Uruçumirim. The transfer of the city to the top of Morro do Castelo in 1567.

Point 3 | THIS LAND IS OUR COMPANY

Location | National Museum of Fine Arts [This part of the visit was held in front of the painting Nóbrega and his companions, 1843, by Manoel Joaquim Corte Real, located in the 19th-century Brazilian Art Gallery.]

- Brief account of the biography of the Jesuit priest Manuel da Nóbrega. His arrival in Brazil in 1549. Structuring of the first methodology of catechization of the Indians - “The pedagogy of love”. Restructuring of the catechization methodology - “The pedagogy of fear”. Jesuit misunderstanding of indigenous cosmologies. The alliance signed between Estácio de Sá and Manuel da Nóbrega, under the slogan “This land is our company”. The establishment of the Society of Jesus on the top of Morro do Castelo in 1567. The prohibition of enslavement of the Indians. Jesuit enrichment, expansion and influence in colonial Brazil. The emergence of the legend of Jesuit treasures hidden in the underground of Morro do Castelo. The Portuguese Crown declares the traitorous Jesuits. The persecution and expulsion of the Jesuit priests from Brazil, with the confiscation of all their assets.

Point 4 | A BOOK ABOUT THE LAND

Location | Audit Court of the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro, Santa Luzia Street, 732 [Santa Luzia Street was one of the boundaries of Morro do Castelo. Where today the Court of Auditors is located was the house where Machado de Assis and his wife Carolina lived, between 1871 and 1874. The house was at the foot of the hill.]

- Brief biography of Machado de Assis. The fascination of the author for the stories and legends about Morro do Castelo. The novel Esau and Jacob, whose first two chapters are set in Morro do Castelo. The Morro do Castelo seen as a place of beliefs and superstitions in the city of Rio de Janeiro, in the early twentieth century.

Point 5 | THE MIRACLES OF THE LAND

Location | Santa Luzia Church [This building appears on the oldest maps of Guanabara Bay. She was stuck in Morro do Castelo. From the photos on the left side nave, you can see that before the ground, the beach reached the church door.]

- The story of Luzia, who became the patron saint of eyes and vision. The beginning of devotion to Santa Luzia in Rio de Janeiro. The story of the miraculous water stream that was in the back of the Church, which came directly from the Morro do Castelo. Following the demolition of the hill, the miraculous water of the stream was piped and is now available as a spout at the bottom of the Church.

Point 6 | THE GOOD AIRS OF THE LAND

Location | Santa Casa de Misericórdia Hospital [Initially, the Santa Casa was established at the top of Morro do Castelo. But soon after, the building was abandoned in favor of another at the foot of the hill. The present Santa Casa building was built over the first cemetery of Rio de Janeiro, where Indians, slaves, the poor, and the first inhabitants of Morro do Castelo were buried.]

- The history of Santa Casa de Misericórdia Hospital. The first medical service, performed by Father José de Anchieta and the Indians, in 1582. The role of the Jesuits and the Indians in the treatment and cure of the sick. The transfer of the capital of the Colony of Bahia to Rio de Janeiro, the swelling of the city and the emergence of major epidemics. The shortage of doctors and surgeons in colonial Brazil. The miasmatic theory. Emergence of the first idea of ​​the devastation of Morro do Castelo in the late eighteenth century, suggested by doctors and engineers. The arrival of the Portuguese Royal Family in 1808, and the first urban reforms. Manuel Vieira da Silva is the first medical treatise published in Brazil, where it was recommended that the Guanabara Bay hills be razed.

Point 7 | THE RAINS OF THE LAND

Location | Vila Real Bar and Restaurant - R. Santa Luzia, 372

- The 1818 flood, known as “Águas do Monte”, which destroyed several buildings on Morro do Castelo, leaving countless victims and homeless. The story of Vitorino, known as Bitú, who drank quietly in a bar, when part of a hill wall collapsed over the building, killing him. The transformation of Bitú's story into a popular song.

Point 8 | THE COBBEK UNDER THE EARTH

Location | Expeditionary Square [The region where the square was built was originally part of Morro do Castelo. Exactly in that region was the Jesuit Complex.]

- The history of Expeditionary Square. The relationship of the place with the legends of the Jesuit treasures buried under the Morro do Castelo. Rio de Janeiro's imagination about hidden treasures. The story of one of the nineteenth-century Jesuit treasure hunters: Baron Drummond, the creator of the Vila Isabel Zoo and the Bicho Game. The treasure hunt of Pernambuco Trajano Augusto Cesar Martins. The habit of Morro do Castelo residents to dig their yards for buried gold. Mayor Francisco Pereira Passos, the first major refurbishing plan of the city. The opening of Avenida Rio Branco and the meeting of one of the entrances to the underground tunnel circuit of Morro do Castelo, in 1905. The dissemination in all newspapers of the possible existence of Jesuit treasures. No treasure is found, the entrance to the underground is walled off and Avenida Rio Branco opens. The construction of a bunker under the square - the only public bunker in the city of Rio de Janeiro. The transformation of the bunker into parking for officials of the Court.

Point 9 | INVADED LAND - SOLD LAND

Location | National Historical Museum [In one part of the Museum's architectural complex is the cannon yard, which was once a gateway for Cariocas who walked from the beach to Morro do Castelo. This part of the visit was held in front of the bronze cannon that was used in the first kidnapping of the city of Rio de Janeiro.]

- Piracy as an institutionalized practice of the European kingdoms. The pirate invasion of Rio de Janeiro - when the central core of the city was still on Morro do Castelo - led by the French pirate René Duguay-Trouin in 1711. The case of corruption involving the captaincy governor, his assistant and from a Jesuit priest who were accused of selling and handing over the land to the French. France's interest in Brazil since the 16th century. The “Brazilian festival”, which was held in Rouen, France, in 1550, a city that wanted to honor King Henry and Queen Catherine de Medici. The establishment of Antarctic France in Rio de Janeiro, a French colony that existed between 1555 and 1560. The French cultural invasion in the 19th century: the “French Mission” and the revision of its official history. The French influence in the Independence Centenary Exhibition, in 1922, happened on the landfills coming from Morro do Castelo.

Point 10 | THEATER OF THE LAND

Location | Largo da Misericórdia [Misericórdia slope is the first street that was opened and paved in Rio de Janeiro, and was one of the accesses to Morro do Castelo. It is one of the few elements of the hill left in the city's landscape.] 

- The first play in Rio de Janeiro, which took place at Largo da Misericórdia in 1584. The Jesuit theater is the most effective way for catechizing the Indians.

Point 11 | THE LAST TWO CHILDREN OF THE LAND 

Location | Nossa Senhora do Bonsucesso Church [The Nossa Senhora do Bonsucesso Church, formerly the Misericórdia Church, was possibly built in the 16th century - so contemporary with the Morro do Castelo churches. In the absence of Morro do Castelo, we can consider it one of the oldest places in Rio de Janeiro. In it, there are three golden altarpieces and a pulpit that belonged to the Jesuit Complex of Morro do Castelo. Before the demolition work, the altarpieces and pulpits were transported by the Misericórdia slope and installed in its central nave of the Church.]

- The only testimony about the life of two residents of Morro do Castelo that is still known today: the brothers Florinda and Francisco Alói. The daily life of Morro do Castelo residents. The brothers' opposition to the opinion spread at the beginning of the twentieth century by the press and the government, which defined the Castelo as a decaying, dangerous and miserable area. The bucolic climate of hill. The management of Carlos Sampaio and the decree authorizing the razing of the Morro do Castelo. The devastation of the hill according to the eyes of Francisco and Florinda.

Point 12 | THE FIRST SON OF THE LAND EXPLORED

Location | Nossa Senhora de Bonsucesso Church

- João Lopes de Carvalho - pilot of the Portuguese vessel Bretoa, the first vessel in history to carry redwood from the American continent to Europe - is sentenced to stay in Guanabara Bay. From John's relationship with an Indian, a baby is born in 1511: the first known child of colonization. The escape of John to Spain in 1516. John's return to Guanabara Bay in 1519 on the planet's circumnavigation fleet. John's reunion with his 7-year-old son. John takes his son with him on the circumnavigation expedition. John's son is kidnapped by a local rajah in Borneo, an Indonesian island.